Eggnog is one of those polarizing drinks: Either you love it or you hate it. After his near-death experience at the hand of the creamy concoction, Ryan Roche probably falls into the latter group.
The Lehi, Utah resident was about to leave an office party on December 10th when his boss urged him to participate in an eggnog drinking contest.
Roche, who describes himself as
"very competitive," opted to join the contest, which aimed to determine who could drink a carton of eggnog the quickest.
A video taken of the competition showed Roche empty his carton of eggnog in just 12 seconds, a feat that established him as the winner.
But, his championship title came with a price: As soon as he finished drinking the 'nog, he found himself coughing and gasping for air, as some of the holiday beverage made its way into his lungs.
"Within two hours, I was shaking uncontrollably,"
According to doctors, the eggnog that Roche inadvertently inhaled into his lungs caused an almost immediate infection, which then turned into pneumonia.
Explaining the ordeal, Roche said,
"Initially I felt very nauseous and sick... my body would change from having a fever to shivering nonstop."
After several courses of antibiotics and three days in the hospital, however, Roche was able to go home.
When asked if he'd ever participate in an eggnog-chugging contest again, Roche didn't hesitate.
"I'd rather have my health."